Mad transfer market reaches zenith with Neymar deal

first_img0Shares0000People stand in front the Paris-Saint-Germain football club store on the Champs Elysees avenue in Paris © AFP / Bertrand GUAYPARIS, France, Aug 4 – The arrival of Neymar at Paris Saint-Germain in a Sh27.3bn($263.5m) world record move will have a significant knock-on effect on an already unbridled transfer market.In the summer of 2016, clubs in the five leading European leagues (England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France) spent a combined 3.3 billion euros, according to a study by financial experts Deloitte. With almost a month still to go in this summer’s window, the combined total is already approaching three billion euros, going by estimates from the specialist website Transfermarkt.And so PSG’s payment of the release clause in Neymar’s contract only confirms the trend in a record-breaking summer.“I don’t think £200 million for Neymar is expensive,” admitted the Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho, whose club previously broke the record last summer by paying £89 million to Juventus for Paul Pogba.“Neymar is one of the best players in the world, so commercially that is very strong but the problem is not Neymar — the problem is the consequences.”United have themselves splashed the cash this summer, spending close to £150 million including £75 million on Everton striker Romelu Lukako, a record deal between two British clubs.PSG may have taken the world record, but English clubs lead the way overall thanks to the eye-watering money generated by the Premier League’s television rights deals.Across Manchester, City benefit from the Premier League’s wealth as well as the funds of their owners from Abu Dhabi.They have already spent more than £200 million in the transfer market, twice breaking the world record for a defender in the space of days with the recruits of Kyle Walker from Tottenham Hotspur and Benjamin Mendy from Monaco.Champions Chelsea have shelled out up to £150 million on Antonio Ruediger, Alvaro Morata and Tiemoue Bakayoko, and Premier League clubs are not far from breaking their collective record spend from last year of just over £1 billion.The spending bug has caught on in Italy too, with AC Milan’s new Chinese owners lavishing over 100 million euros on a host of new signings, including Italy defender Leonardo Bonucci from Juventus for 40 million euros.– ‘Unsustainable’ –However, not all of Europe’s giants wish to partake in this spending frenzy.“I don’t want to buy a player for 150 or 200 million euros, I don’t want to join in such madness. That’s something that we will refuse totally,” Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness told SID, an AFP subsidiary.Veteran Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, who has been criticised by supporters in the past for an apparent lack of willingness to spend huge sums on individual players, says the Neymar deal is “beyond calculation and rationality”.“For me, it is the consequence of the ownerships and that has completely changed the whole landscape of football in the last 15 years,” he said.But in a landscape where other leagues are collectively struggling to compete with the monstrous sums handed out to teams in England, the move for Neymar can also be seen as a huge boon for French football as a whole.“Even if the arrival of Neymar raises questions about the real coast, we all congratulate Nasser (Al Khelaifi, the PSG president) and PSG. This is huge for the notoriety of Ligue 1,” tweeted Jean-Michel Aulas, the owner of rivals Lyon and a regular critic of Paris and their Qatari owners in the past.Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy is another who thinks the current levels of spending are “unsustainable”, and it is therefore no surprise that his club have kept their hands in their pockets this summer.Yet when clubs have the backing of a state behind them, like PSG, such moves are less about making an investment and more to do with making a statement.“It is by attracting such top players that clubs will be able to win trophies and gain notoriety but these transfers will not be made profitable by ticket sales or merchandising,” said the French sports economist Jean-François Brocard.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More →

Maria Sharapova gets wildcard for Wimbledon warm-up event

first_imgFormer world number one Maria Sharapova has been handed a wildcard to the Wimbledon warm-up tournament in Birmingham in June, Britain’s Lawn Tennis Association said on Thursday.The five-times grand slam champion, who recently served a 15-month doping ban, learned on Tuesday she would not be given a wildcard into the French Open, with the question over whether Wimbledon will grant her one as yet unanswered.The 30-year-old’s comeback has divided opinion, with some fellow players criticising the decision to award her wildcard entries into WTA claycourt tournaments in Stuttgart, Madrid and Rome.The Aegon Classic in Birmingham has now offered Sharapova the chance to fine-tune her grasscourt game after she committed to appear there next year as well.”We have received a two-year commitment from one of the most famous athletes in the world, Maria Sharapova, to play the Aegon Classic,” LTA Chief Executive Michael Downey said.”In return we are providing Maria with a main draw wildcard for this year. This wasn’t a decision we took lightly and we recognise not everyone will agree with it.”However Maria has served her ban in full and is now back playing high quality tennis… Now that Maria has earned direct entry into Wimbledon qualifying, we want to give British tennis fans the chance to see her compete on grass here in Britain beforehand.”Sharapova’s first round win in Rome meant her ranking, now 211, will have improved enough to gain a place by right in the Wimbledon qualifying tournament held the week before the Championships, which start on July 3.advertisementHaving retired injured in her second round match, however, she will miss the ranking cut-off for a main draw entry and would need a wildcard from the All England Committee on June 20 to avoid having to win three rounds of qualifying.She won the first of her five grand slams at Wimbledon in 2004.Commenting on her Aegon Classic entry, she said: “I am really excited to be coming back to Birmingham …as part of my build-up to Wimbledon and I thank the LTA for this opportunity.”last_img read more

Read More →

Transfer latest: Koscielny in tears over Arsenal crisis

first_imgTransfers Transfer news & rumours LIVE: Koscielny breaks down in Arsenal crisis talks Goal Last updated 1 year ago 02:10 3/4/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(1) Laurent Koscielny Arsenal Getty Transfers Premier League Ligue 1 Serie A Bundesliga Primera División Goal takes a look at the biggest transfer news and rumours from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and beyond Koscielny breaks down during Arsenal crisis meetingArsenal defender Laurent Koscielny was left in tears during a crisis meeting held without Arsene Wenger, reports the Sun .Koscielny admitted that his children are asking him why Arsenal are playing so badly to his team-mates, who have been deflated by consecutive 3-0 defeats to Manchester City.And Wenger has reportedly lost the support of the board less than a year after signing a new deal at the Emirates Stadium. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Balotelli invites offers from Juventus & NapoliMario Balotelli Nice Lokomotiv Moscou UEFA Europa League 15022018Mario Balotelli is planning to head back to Italy as a free agent and has invited offers from Serie A title hopefuls Juventus and Napoli.The enigmatic frontman is running down his contract at Nice and is expected to have several options to consider at the end of the season.The 27-year-old is intending to step back up the football pyramid by securing a return to his roots in Italy.Read the full story on Goal.  Pedro set for €40m Atletico movePedroChelsea forward Pedro is ready to return to his native Spain with Atletico Madrid, according to Don Balon.Pedro began his career with Barcelona before moving to Chelsea in 2015, and lifted the Premier League last season under Antonio Conte. But the forward feels he is being overlooked by Spain coach Julen Lopetegui as an overseas player, and has reportedly received a €40 million offer to move to the nation’s capital.Bayern choose Heynckes’ successorJupp Heynckes Bayern Munich Hertha BerlinBayern Munich have made contact with Freiburg coach Christian Streich and hope he will take over the Bundesliga giants from next season onwards, reports Bild.Club favourite Jupp Heynckes stepped into the breach after Carlo Ancelotti’s sacking, but the veteran will not stay on beyond the end of 2017-18.Heynckes is also a big fan of Streich, and has professed his admiration for the 52-year-old in several interviews.Man Utd ready £89m Ter Stegen bidMarc Andre ter Stegen Barcelona Manchester United are readying an £89 million offer for Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen, reports Don Balon .With speculation continuing to suggest that David de Gea could soon be heading home to Real Madrid, the Red Devils are busy putting contingency plans in place.Jose Mourinho has put Barca’s Germany international at the top of his wish list, with United prepared to spend big on another proven performer between the sticks.Cenk set for rapid Everton departureCenk Tosun Tottenham Hotspur Everton 01/13/18Cenk Tosun is set to return to Besiktas in the summer, having struggled to establish himself at Everton in the two months he has spent in England, according to the Liverpool Echo via TMW .The striker impressed in the Champions League with the Turkish side in the first half of the season but has failed to find the net since making a £27 million move to Goodison Park in the summer, though he has played only twice.Sane open to Madrid moveLeroy Sane Manchester CityLeroy Sane is prepared to leave Manchester City this summer and form part of an exciting rebuilding project at Real Madrid, claims El Gol Digital .The Germany international has starred for the Premier League leaders this season but is not guaranteed a starting berth under Pep Guardiola.With that in mind, he is open to the idea of replacing Gareth Bale at Santiago Bernabeu.Klopp eager for new Firmino dealRoberto Firmino LiverpoolLiverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said it is important star forward Roberto Firmino signs a new contract at Anfield.”It is very important for both sides. I think everything we are doing, the way we play, the way we give him the opportunity constantly to play – he deserves that,” the Liverpool boss said.Read the rest of Klopp’s comments on Goal.  Raiola urges Napoli to move for Balotelli Mario Balotelli Nice MonacoMario Balotelli would be “ideal” for Napoli and his agent Mino Raiola has urged the Serie A leaders to sign the Nice star.The Italian forward has been tipped for a move to Serie A or the Premier League in the summer, and his agent believes he would fit in well with Maurizio Sarri club.Read the full story on Goal. Monaco confirm Geubbels interestWillem Geubbels, Lyon, 17/18Monaco have confirmed their interest in Lyon youngster Willem Geubbels and hit out at the 16-year-old’s club for suggesting previous wrongdoing relating to the transfers of Rachid Ghezzal and Jordy Gaspar.Geubbels is regarded as one of France’s most talented young players and has reportedly attracted interest from some of Europe’s biggest clubs during his time at Lyon.Read the full story on Goal. Conte fires warning to ChelseaAntonio Conte ChelseaAntonio Conte has fired a warning to Chelsea over the club’s ambition as they find themselves 22 points behind Premier League leaders Manchester City ahead of a meeting between the two sides on Sunday.“I have great ambition, but I don’t have money to spend for Chelsea,” Conte told reporters at his pre-weekend press conference. “The club knows very well what is my idea, what is my ambition. That is very clear.”Find out what else he had to say right here. Arsenal mulling over ModricLuka Modric Real MadridArsenal are mulling over an ambitious bid to bring former Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric back to north London from Real Madrid, reports Don Balon .The 32-year-old left the Premier League in 2012 and is understood to be keen on taking in a second spell in England after six successful years in Spain.Mourinho joins Jorginho chaseJorginho NapoliManchester United have joined Liverpool in the hunt for Napoli midfielder Jorginho, reports the Daily Star .The Red Devils are ready to open the bidding for the Brazil-born Italy international at £50 million, with Jose Mourinho in the market for someone to fill the void set to be created by Michael Carrick’s retirement.Raiola: Pogba isn’t at war with Mourinho Paul Pogba Manchester UnitedThere is “no war” raging between Paul Pogba and Jose Mourinho at Manchester United, according to ‘super agent’ Mino Raiola.Reports of a rift at Old Trafford have surfaced on the back of an apparent breakdown in the working relationship between a high-profile player and his demanding boss.But the agent claims that his client “wants to win at Manchester United.”Read all of what he had to say right here.  Liverpool like the look of LeminaMario Lemina, Sofiane Boufal - SouthamptonLiverpool could be about to raid Southampton again, with L’Equipe reporting that Mario Lemina is the next Saints star in Jurgen Klopp’s sights.With Emre Can running down his contract at Anfield, the Reds have identified a player with Premier League experience as an ideal option to bolster their midfield ranks.Pep planning two more additionsPep Guardiola, Man CityManchester City are sweeping their way to the Premier League title, but the Daily Mirror suggests Pep Guardiola will look to make two more big-money signings over the summer.Despite boasting a star-studded squad at the Etihad Stadium, the man at the helm is eager to bring in another defender and a tricky winger.Rakitic on Old Trafford radarIvan Rakitic Barcelona 12092017Manchester United’s pursuit of a new midfielder could lead them to Barcelona playmaker Ivan Rakitic, according to Diario Gol .The Croatia international has been linked with the Red Devils in the past and interest may be rekindled if those at Camp Nou suggest they would be open to offers.Son to land new Spurs dealSon Heung-Min TOTWTottenham are ready to reward Son Heung-min with a lucrative new contract, reports The Sun .The South Korean forward has netted 13 times this season, to go with the 21-goal return he managed in 2016-17 after establishing himself as a Premier League force to be reckoned with.Martinez to Inter ’90 per cent complete’Lautaro Martinez RacingLautaro Martinez’s move to Serie A giants Inter is “90 per cent complete”, according to Racing Club president Victor Blanco.The 20-year-old striker has been strongly linked with a move away from Argentina for several months and appeared to be closing in on a switch to Atletico Madrid towards the end of 2017.Read the full on Goal   Liverpool told Barella priceNicolò Barella CagliariLiverpool have been made aware that it will cost them £45 million to land Cagliari midfielder Nicolo Barella, claims Calciomercato .The Italy U21 international is attracting interest from across Europe, with Juventus also said to be keen on a player catching the eye in Serie A.Wenger on his way?Arsene Wenger ArsenalArsene Wenger will not be at Arsenal next season, says Paul Merson, with the Frenchman set to buckle under ever-mounting pressure.Questions are once against being asked of the long-serving Frenchman as the Gunners struggle to force their way into the top four and reflect on a forgettable showing in the Carabao Cup final.Find out what Merson has had to say on his former club here. Red Bulls take Parker in Whitecaps tradeTim Parker Vancouver Whitecaps MLS 20150603The New York Red Bulls and Vancouver Whitecaps have worked out a massive trade on the eve of the MLS season, with Tim Parker heading to New York and the Canadian club acquiring Felipe Martins, $500,000 in allocation money and a 2018 international spot.Read the full story on Goal. Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.last_img read more

Read More →