Bank branches aren’t going anywhere – Here’s why

first_img continue reading » In this phone-glued-to-hand culture, you might think app-based banking is driving brick-and-mortar bank branches towards obsoletion.Not so! Old-school branches can breathe a sigh of relief, because – as it turns out – customers like having a branch to walk into.According to a 2018 study, 77% of bank customers prefer to turn to in-branch service to handle lengthier banking requests. Branches also provide the kind of personalized service that just can’t happen while working with an online agent or – in the case of some new digital competitors – a chatbot.Instead of connecting with “Ashley from Texas,” customers can walk into their local branch and see a familiar face. Because really, who wants to re-explain their situation to a new, faceless agent every time they need assistance? ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Read More →

Six-state E coli outbreak blamed on ground beef

first_imgJun 11, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – A recent ground beef recall has been expanded to 5.7 million pounds following the identification of 14 Escherichia coli O157:H7 cases in six states, according the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).The products, which include fresh and frozen ground beef packaged under a variety of store brands and other major labels, are no longer on store shelves, but they may still be in consumers’ freezers, the US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) said in a Jun 9 statement.”It is important that consumers look for and return these products if they find them,” the USDA said.Of the 14 patients whose E coli infections have been linked to the contaminated beef, 6 are from Arizona, 3 are from California, 2 from Colorado, and 1 each from Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming, according to the FSIS. All the patients have recovered.The beef subject to recall was produced by United Food Group, LLC, based in Vernon, Calif. The company first recalled 75,000 pounds of ground beef on Jun 3 because of sampling done by California and Colorado health departments when investigating illnesses. The firm expanded the recall 3 days later to 370,000 pounds, incorporating meat produced on an earlier date.For the first two recalls, the products involved only ground beef sold in prepackaged chubs or casings. The expansion to 5.7 million pounds was spurred by an E coli finding in fresh ground beef provided by a patient in Arizona, the USDA said.The fresh and frozen ground beef was processed between Apr 6 and Apr 20 and distributed to retail stores in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. The products bear the establishment number “EST. 1241″ inside the USDA inspection mark or elsewhere on the package. The products have use-by/sell-by dates between Apr 15 and May 7 and freeze-by dates between Apr 23 and May 7. The frozen ground beef patty products have sell-by dates between Aug 6, 2007, and Jan 20, 2008.Todd Waldman, United Food Group’s senior vice president, said in a Jun 9 press release that all of the illnesses have been linked so far to the company’s fresh ground beef purchased during a short time frame, rather than its frozen products.”We have been unable to pinpoint the exact date and time of production because the code dating information on the packaging was no longer available from the consumer,” Waldman said. “As a precautionary measure, we have chosen to voluntarily recall additional fresh and frozen ground beef products.”Recent major outbreaks of E coli O157:H7 have been linked with fresh produce, but overall the pathogen has more commonly been found in ground beef. The strain produces a toxin that causes diarrhea—often bloody—and abdominal cramps, but typically no fever. The illness usually resolves in 5 to 10 days, but it can cause hemolytic uremic syndrome, potentially leading to kidney failure or death, in 2% to 7% of patients.Following a massive ground beef recall by a Greeley, Colo., plant in 2002, the USDA required meatpacking plants to review their safety systems and take specific steps to reduce E coli contamination. The agency credited that step for a subsequent decline in contamination found by USDA sampling and a decline in ground beef recalls.However, US meat producers have issued eight recalls related to E coli contamination so far this year, which is more than they issued during all of 2006, according to an article published today by Meatingplace.com, a beef industry Web site. The number of recalls is stirring some concern that the beef industry’s safety gains are starting to taper off.”Suffice it to say that we are well aware there has been an increase in recalls this year and are keeping a close watch on the situation,” FSIS spokesman Steve Cohen told Meatingplace.Despite the increase in recalls this year, the proportion of meat samples with E coli so far this year is running below 2006 levels: 0.14% compared to 0.17%, Cohen reported. He said about 5,000 samples have been tested so far this year.Cohen said there doesn’t seem to be a pattern to the recent E coli-related recalls of beef products. “We perform tracebacks to determine if there are links among clusters of recalls, and [for the most recent ones], we haven’t found any,” he told Meatingplace. “At this point, it’s safe to say each was prompted by very different circumstances.”The spike in recalls could also be the result of increased public health vigilance and better partnerships between the federal agencies that are involved with food safety issues, Cohen said.See also:Jun 9 USDA statementJun 9 United Food Group press releaseMar 2, 2005, CIDRAP News story “E coli in in ground beef dropped in 2004, USDA says”last_img read more

Read More →

Buyers waiting patiently for large lots among the trees in Greenbank

first_imgSpring Mountain Acreage Estate in Greenbank is offering the ultimate treechange lifestyle.A tree change has turned into the perfect hideaway for this couple who are still at the peak of their professional careers.Frank and Susan Riccobon have purchased a 4500sq m block at Peet’s Spring Mountain Acreage Estate in Greenbank, a much needed tree change but not a retirement move.The couple have just welcomed their sixth grandchild but like many modern grandparents, are still at the peak of their professional careers. Mr Riccobon is a network administrator running the technology at one of the many new schools nearby. Mrs Riccobon is a managing accountant who commutes to the city by train.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus1 day agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market1 day ago“We were looking for acreage and a work colleague suggested we try here,” Mr Riccobon said. “We took one look and the rest is history. “We moved from Mount Gravatt, which was very busy, very hectic with lots of traffic, so we absolutely love it at Spring Mountain.”The couple’s elevated block, in the Summit precinct, has panoramic bush views leading down to a natural lagoon, with a generous, level site that accommodates their spacious four-bedroom home.“Compared to our old house, this one is built for entertainment and it’s ideal that we can have the whole family together,” Mr Riccobon said. “My wife and I lead fairly busy lives and we love the peace and quiet. It’s great to wake up in the morning and all you hear are a few birds.“At the weekends, we go for walks or ride our electric pushbikes. One of the benefits of not having much traffic is that it’s really easy and great to explore.”Enthusiastic tree changers are snapping up acreage in the thin green belt between Brisbane city and the new urban growth areas springing up around Logan, Ipswich and the Gold Coast.The Spring Mountain community will come together on Saturday October 28 for the Spring Mountain Spring Fair, a colourful food and music festival.last_img read more

Read More →

Report: Elandra Tankers Orders VLCC Quartet at Hyundai Heavy

first_imgSingapore’s shipping company Elandra Tankers has placed an order for four very large crude carriers (VLCCs), according to data provided by Asiasis.Ordered from the South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries, the vessels feature 300,000 dwt.Elandra Tankers, a joint venture between oil trader Vitol SA and a unit of Standard Chartered Bank, is reportedly paying up to US 368 million for the batch, or USD 92 million per unit.The ships, which were allegedly ordered in April, are scheduled to join their owner starting from late 2019 to early 2020.World Maritime News Staff; Image Courtesy: Hyundai Heavy Industrieslast_img read more

Read More →

TenneT to develop new submarine cable with eight suppliers

first_imgTo link 2GW offshore grid connections to the onshore grid system, a suitable certified cable system is required. This cable system will connect a 2GW platform and a land station. To transport the required 2GW power, a submarine cable system operating at a voltage level 525 kV DC using extruded insulation types is needed. “It is very positive to see that multiple international cable suppliers are participating in this programme. It shows that the sector is keen to innovate together to produce a new standard for submarine cable systems substantially reducing cost for society” Marco Kuijpers, director Offshore Projects at TenneT. The new cable system is required for the planned 2GW offshore grid connections in the Netherlands and in Germany, which set a new standard for connecting offshore wind farms. The development programme should result in a certified cable system which TenneT can apply in the IJmuiden Ver, BalWin and LanWin projects as well as projects using the same power output and voltage. The participating suppliers are: Hellenic Cables, LS Cable & System, Nexans Norway, Ningbo Orient Wires & Cables, NKT HV Cables, Prysmian Powerlink, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Zhongtian Technology Submarine Cable. TenneT expects that the development of the 525 kV DC submarine cable system will result in a certified cable system in spring 2022, the company noted. center_img TenneT has contracted eight cable suppliers to develop a new standard for a submarine cable system. All the participating cable suppliers will develop and test the cable system within the time frame for the 2GW projects and TenneT will be in close contact with them during the entire process. TenneT expects the bundled installation to achieve significant cost reductions. Besides reducing installation costs, it is also expected to reduce dredging costs because all cables can be put in a single trench. This approach also results in fewer platforms and land stations, which is not only interesting in financial terms but also ensures that TenneT causes lower emissions and has less spatial and environmental impact. A 525 kV HVDC extruded submarine cable system with a 2GW capacity is currently not implemented in any project worldwide. last_img read more

Read More →

Pinnick: Osimhen capable of breaking Maradona’s records at Napoli

first_img “Napoli are the right club for him to achieve important results, and Osimhen will always give his best. “I’ll say it now: Victor will do everything possible to match and even break the records set by a legend like Maradona. read also:Update: Osimhen to wear Jersey No9 at Napoli “I talked to Victor just a few minutes ago: he’s very excited about his new experience and a new club. “Napoli is a big name in world football. It’ll be a new challenge for him and he told me: ‘President, I’ll make Naples proud.’ “If he gets the right support, I guarantee he’ll stick to his word and make you all proud. Believe in him and he’ll help the team achieve their objectives.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Advertisement Loading… Nigerian Football Federation boss, Amaju Pinnick, believes Victor Osimhen is capable of breaking Diego Maradona’s record at Napoli. The Lille striker is a step away from joining the Azzurri. “I think Victor Osimhen is an excellent signing for Napoli,” Pinnick told Radio Kiss Kiss. “I’ve followed them from when they had Diego Armando Maradona. Naples is a proud city and also in football terms. “Osimhen’s a source of pride of African football. He’s someone who is disciplined but focused on objectives, and if he wants something, he knows how to get it. “He made the right decision for his career. I already believe he’ll receive the right support from the club and its fans.Advertisementcenter_img Promoted Content7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?You’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right NowWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?Who Earns More Than Ronaldo?8 Ways Drones Will Automate Our Future10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone9 Astonishing Wonders Hidden Deep In Sea8 Fascinating Facts About Coffee7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market Valuelast_img read more

Read More →

Mancini: City can afford no more slips

first_img “Two games and the championship is reopened. I don’t think this is finished but probably now we have to win all the games but if not then 11 or 12 games.” Dzeko’s close-range strike in the 23rd minute was the most routine goal of the afternoon as Sturridge’s equaliser, his fourth in six matches since his £12million move from Chelsea, was tinged with controversy. Mancini felt Daniel Agger should have been punished for a foul on Dzeko but referee Anthony Taylor played on and despite the boos Liverpool declined to put the ball out of play with the City striker laid on the turf and scored several seconds later. “Liverpool played better than us in the first half but I am disappointed for the first goal,” added the Italian. “If Vinny (City’s captain Vincent Kompany) did that foul it would probably be a red card. Instead the referee didn’t say anything. For 10 minutes he saw all the fouls for Liverpool and he didn’t see this. Agger did a foul.” Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers disagreed with Mancini’s version of events regarding their first goal. “The first goal was clear: both bodies get tangled up, Dzeko thinks it’s a free-kick but you’re talking about a minute or so after (until Liverpool scored),” he said. “The referee told a couple of players – Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard – to play on which is why they kept going.” Despite failing to hold on having taken the lead from Gerrard’s superb 30-yard dipping volley, Rodgers was pleased with the performance, saying: “We were brilliant. The only disappointment is that we were outstanding in our work but mistakes have cost us.” Sergio Aguero’s angled strike 12 minutes from time rescued a point after Daniel Sturridge, against his former club, and Steven Gerrard had turned things around after Edin Dzeko’s opener. The result means City have dropped further behind leaders Manchester United and the gap is now nine points but Mancini said that was far from insurmountable. “Absolutely not,” was the Italian’s response when asked whether the championship was over. Press Associationcenter_img Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini insists the Barclays Premier League title race is not over after his side were held 2-2 by Liverpool.last_img read more

Read More →

PV Sindhu Looking to Win the First Title Since Victory at Worlds

first_imgOdense: PV Sindhu will be looking for her first title since her victory at the BWF World Championships in August when she leads the Indian challenge at the Denmark Open starting on October 15. Saina Nehwal will be in the fray with Sindhu in the women’s singles while World Championships bronze medallist Sai Praneeth, Parupalli Kashyap, HS Prannoy, Kidambi Srikanth and Sameer Verma will also be in the fray.Sindhu has suffered surprising first-round and second-round exits at the China Open and Korea Open respectively since her historic win at the World Championships. She will start the tournament with a match against Indonesia’s Gregoria Mariska Tunjung. Saina, on the other hand, will face Japan’s Sayaka Takahashi in her first match.Praneeth, on the other hand, faces a tricky match against Chinese great Lin Dan in his first-round encounter. Former Commonwealth Games bronze medallist Kashyap, on the other hand, will be up against Thailand’s Sitthikom Thammasin. Kashyap has been in decent form this year, reaching the semi-finals of the Indian Open and the last four of the Korea Open.Kidambi Srikanth, a former champion at the Super 750 tournament, will be facing Denmark’s, Anders Antonsen. Srikanth had skipped China and Korea opens due to a knee injury and he will be looking to make a good comeback. He had beaten Antonsin at the 2017 World Championships but both players have had contrasting fortunes since. Srikanth has struggled to emulate the form he showed in 2017 while Antonsen has risen to fourth in the rankings, winning the Indonesia Masters, Barcelona Spain Masters, European Games and made it to the final of the Indonesia Open Super 1000 this year.HS Prannoy, who is making his return after a bout of dengue, faces eighth-seeded Indonesian Anthony Sinisuka Ginting.In the men’s doubles, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty, who had earlier won the Thailand Open, will face Korea’s Kim Gi Jung and Lee Yong Dae. CWG bronze medallists Ashwini Ponnappa and N Sikki Reddy are up against Japanese top seeds Mayu Matsumoto and Wakana Nagahara.The mixed doubles pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Sikki will open against Germany’s Marvin Seidel and Linda Efler, while Satwik and Ashwini will take on second seeds Chinese Wang Yi Lyu and Huang Dong Ping. IANS Also Read: Korea Open: PV Sindhu, Saina Crash Out, Kashyap Advances to SurviveAlso Watch:6 year old boy seriously injured after falling from running train in Digboilast_img read more

Read More →

The Latest: Zlatan Ibrahimovic expected to return to Italy

first_imgMore AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 He leaves behind plenty of questions in his native Sweden.Ibrahimovic has been keeping up his fitness by training with Hammarby. He bought a nearly 25% stake in the Stockholm-based club last year in his first move into soccer ownership. The striker practiced with the men’s and women’s teams and played in a training match because Sweden is not under strict lockdown measures during the coronavirus pandemic.The 38-year-old Ibrahimovic could return to the club as a player in the final years of his career.Milan and most of the other Italian league clubs resumed training on an individual basis last week before full team training restarts next Monday.___ Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Zlatan Ibrahimovic is expected to return to Italy to spend two weeks in quarantine ahead of the potential return of the Serie A season with AC Milan.center_img May 11, 2020 The Latest: Zlatan Ibrahimovic expected to return to Italylast_img read more

Read More →